Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Eid al-Adha

A few weeks ago was the second Eid (Eid al-Adha).  A ram is sacrificed to pay respect to Abraham's devotion to God, who offered his own son for sacrifice.  It was a great day spent with great friends and I thank the Conde family for inviting me to their home to observe their sacrifice!

1.

2.

3.

4.

5.

6.

1.  View from my counterpart's cafe the morning of the fete.

2.  For Eid ul-Fitr (at the end  of Ramadan) and Eid al-Adha our soccer field is transformed into an open prayer space.  This is the view from the seats of the stadium as people begin their 10am prayer.

3.  Kids making the best of the little shade offered by the stadium.

4.  Getting ready...

5.  The Conde family laying their hands on the ram to pay their respect.

6.  Conde's uncle finishes the sacrifice.  The ram was then divided and shared with family, friends, and the needy in their neighborhood.

2 comments:

  1. I happened to stumble upon your blog again and enjoyed looking at your photos and seeing what you're up to. I student taught with your mom back in 2009 (how i know of your blog) and finished PC back in June of this year. Though I enjoyed being in Bulgaria I have to say I'm a bit jealous of what you're up to. I SO wanted to be in Africa, though I'm hoping to get there again within the next 5 years, so far the only country I've been to there is Tanzania and would love to see a lot more of the continent. I hope you're having a wonderful weekend and are able to celebrate Thanksgiving in some small way :)

    -Katelyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katelyn,

      Thank you for taking a look at my blog (a year ago haha). So Guinea is really tough but really awesome and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. Hard to believe I only have 7 months left! So I was also responding because it turns out that two of my really good friends here will be passing through Bulgaria during their vacation and I thought I could put them in contact with you?? If you want feel free to shoot my friend Emma an email at emmasobrien@gmail.com. Thanks again for reading what few blogposts I write and thanks in advance for helping them out!

      Chris

      Delete